Apple has released an update for its iMovie video editing app for iOS. The latest version brings a whole host of new features including the ability to overlay videos over a green screen and 80 new soundtracks to choose from.
The update also allows you to add transparent background images into videos to use as logos or custom graphics.
Overall, the update makes iMovie a really versatile tool for quick and easy video editing yet still allowing a degree of flexibility for more complex edits
The full list of new features available in the latest iMovie app:
- Transform your video with the new green screen effect that lets you instantly remove the background of clips shot in front of a green or blue screen
- Adjust the green screen effect with a 4-point mask and strength slider
- Choose from 80 new soundtracks in genres including pop, chill, and sentimental that automatically adjust to match the length of your movie
- Drop in still images with transparent backgrounds to use as logos or custom graphics on top of your video
- Add photos as overlays to create picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
- Choose to hide the border that surrounds picture-in-picture and split-screen effects
- Instantly return to the edit screen of your project when switching back to iMovie from other applications
- ClassKit support lets students deliver video assignments to teachers using the Schoolwork app
- For users with videos in iMovie Theater, the Theater window is now accessible from the ••• menu at the bottom of the Projects screen
- Sharing to iMovie Theater is no longer supported; save your movies and trailers to iCloud Photos to watch them on other devices including Apple TV
- Resolves an issue that could lead to a black viewer when previewing your video fullscreen on an external display
You can download iMovie for the iPhone and iPad here.