Now Sony Ericsson has announced on their blog that while the Xperia X10 was never intended to support multi-touch since day 1, they are still working on making this possible due to the requests of its users. They are trying to enhance its driver and firmware for its touch digitizer to allow multi-touch gestures to work. However they also stress that this is still work in progress and it does come with some limitations.
Therefore, they are only looking at having multi-touch available strictly for web browser and maps upon release. No exact dates were given but they say it should be out by early next year, Q1 2011. We have to say it again, Sony Ericsson please buck up and come out with a proper flagship android device. Their devices doesn’t make us go WOW at first sight and the pricing is too expensive compared to what others are offering. Even their UPCOMING Anzu device is not impressive enough to compare with today’s Galaxy S or Desire HD.
In the mean time, Watch their Work in Progress video on the Xperia X10 after the jump.
After a long wait, Sony Ericsson had finally announced its Android 1.6 to 2.1 upgrade for the Xperia X10 family of Android devices. However this update requires a computer and Sony Ericsson’s PC Companion in order to update. You would also need to perform some backup and restore tasks as well. If all that sounds too complicated to you, Sony Ericsson has a video guide to do all that.
Unfortunately even after upgrading to Android 2.1, you still can’t do multi-touch on the Xperia X10 which is pretty pathetic in our opinion.
Head after the jump for the upgrade guide video.
Finally, the moment we’ve been waiting for! Sony Ericsson has announced via its blog that it will start rolling out Android 2.1 update for its Android line up which includes Xperia X10, X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro. The latest X8 was strangely left out as it wasn’t mentioned in the latest update.
Among the changes are:
• HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
• New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
• 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
• Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
• Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
• New backup and restore application with extended content back up
• Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
• Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
The updates will start this Sunday 31st October for the Nordic countries followed by the rest of the world. The whole upgrade exercise is expected to continue throughout the month of November so for those in Malaysia, just keep an eye on your phone’s notification in the coming weeks.
Although this it not Android 2.2 Froyo, at least Sony Ericsson is finally out from the legacy Android 1.6 version.
[ SOURCE ]