UPDATE: SayaKenaHack.com will no longer be operational on Sunday. More details below.
A few weeks ago, Lowyat.net reported that the personal data for millions of Malaysians had been released as part of a huge telco data breach. Now the only place we can check if our data has been compromised is now blocked by MCMC.
Yesterday evening, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) had blocked Steam’s website access on our local service providers. After complying with the Malaysian authority’s request to remove the controversial game, the MCMC has finally lifted the ban this morning and Malaysians should be able to access the software distribution platform by now.
After Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) blocked access to Steam’s website, it appears that the software platform has finally complied with the commission’s request to make the controversial “Fight of Gods” game unavailable for Steam users in Malaysia.
UPDATE: Malaysia’s Communication and Multimedia Minister, Datuk Seri Salleh Said Keruak has confirmed that Steam was blocked after failing to comply with the government’s 24-hour ultimatum.
UPDATE 2: Steam has removed the controversial game for Malaysian users.
UPDATE 3: Malaysia lifts blockade on Steam. TM UniFi users should be able to access and it might take longer for mobile broadband users.
Steam, the popular software distribution platform has been blocked Malaysia. You can no longer access their front page through our local ISP but if you already have the app installed you can still download games at the time of writing.
Malaysia and Singapore have shared close ties that calling across the border was as easy as making an interstate call. If you’ve been making lots of calls from Malaysia to Singapore, you might need to update your phonebooks very soon.
There is no perfect telco. Sometimes, problems are bound to crop up with your service and that can cause frustration from a consumer standpoint. From there, the default reaction in this day and age would be to type out an angry status on Facebook, tagging all the necessary parties. Also known as the ‘mohon viral’ tactic in some circles.
But that’s often not the right thing to do if you want your issue resolved quickly. Here is what you should do instead.
Not happy with your mobile telco or fixed broadband provider? If your telco isn’t solving your issue, CFM or better known as Consumer Forum of Malaysia is here to get your problem fixed.
Established by the MCMC (Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission), CFM is tasked to protect the rights of consumers in the telco industry. Working closely with service providers, they have to ensure that all customer complaints are solved as stipulated in the General Consumer Code.
Throughout 2015, there’s an increase of 6.11% of reported telco complaints versus the previous year. Out of the 7,326 complaints received, they have solved 97% while the remaining 3% are still under investigation.
The Malaysian Constitution guarantees every Malaysian the right to freedom of speech. When abused, it can cause adverse effects. That’s what Communication and Multimedia Minister, Datuk Seri Dr. Salleh Said Keruak believes as the government is mulling for tougher enforcements for online users.
France suffered a horrible loss on Friday, as parts of Paris came under siege by terrorists. In the face of this security breach, many tech organisations used their own means to help out by offering their services. The people behind AirBnB, Facebook, Google, Skype, Twitter all jumped into disaster relief mode. Can they along with other organisations continue in the light of similar tragic events around the world? We hope they do.
Malaysian prepaid players we’re given a 1st November deadline to revise its top up/reload pricing to its pre-GST days. At the moment, a RM10 top up would cost RM10.60 while a RM50 top up costs RM53, inclusive of 6% GST.