During the launch of TM HSBB’s UniFi, Malaysia PM Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has announced the anticipated broadband goodies. The 6 Broadband Initiatives are:
- Implementation of Broadband Community Centres in Housing Areas
RM60 million allocated to provide broadband to 246 areas with total of 615,000 people
- Set up of People’s Internet Centre at Information Department branches
Allow internet access to estimated 400,000 people
- E-Kiosks at various community centres and Mukim Offices
costing RM4 million
- Expansion of Telco’s cellular coverage
338 in West Malaysia, 278 in Sabah and 257 in Sarawak
- RM1 Billion allocated from USP Funds (Universal Service Provision) for notebook purchase for needy students
- Reduction of Netbook Broadband Package
RM38/month from previous RM50/month. Offer in USP areas reduced to RM20/month.
These are part of the National Broadband Initiative that aims to hit 50% Broadband Penetration in Malaysia by 2010.
[ SOURCE ]