P1 CEO Michael Lai mentioned last week that new plans were on the way from P1 and here it is.
Technically the “new” plans are just revised pricing from the old plans. Not much difference from the earlier plans but the revised pricing means some packages have gone up in price and some down but generally cost of ownership is now more for shorter subscription contract.
Here are the details:
At a glance
- UPDATE-090204: P1 updated the new plans table. P1 Office Standard plan now comes with 500kbps upload. Previously was a pathetic 150kbps. For an additional RM60 home users can enjoy unlimited data. Those who can afford it, this is not bad.
- P1 modem is no longer free – 12 month contract subscribers will have to pay RM199 for the modem (original price RM999). For 24 months contract the P1 modem is still free
- Looks like you still pay nothing upfront
- The fastest home user plan – P1 Pro – comes with with increased data usage. 40GB/month (previously only 20GB)
- Office plans now come with unlimited data usage
- P1 Lite was previously RM59 for 12 months contract and RM49 for 24 months. Now flat rate RM49
- P1 Plus was previously RM99 for 12 months and RM89 for 24 months. Now flat rate RM99
- P1 Pro was previously RM299 for 12 months and RM199 for 25 months. Now flat rate RM199. The data usage limit has been increased to 40GB
- P1 Standard was previously RM99 for 12 months contract and RM89 for 24 months. Now flat rate
RM199RM159 with unlimited data usage but the uplink is limited to 150kbps (previously 500kbps). Uplink is still 500kbps
- P1 Premium was previously RM229 for 12 months contract and RM199 for 24 months. Now flat rate RM399 with unlimited data usage
For all users
- P1 modem will cost RM199 (reduced from RM999) if you subscribe for 12 months. You have an option to pay full amount of the modem credited to your first bill or spread the payment across the contract duration for RM20/month (which totals to RM240 at the end of the contract. That’s an extra RM41 for the modem or about RM3/month if you choose easy payment). In addition to the extra cost, modem warranty is only 1 year for 12 months contract.
- P1 modem is free if you opt for 24 months contract with warranty to match (2 years covered)
Additional One Time Charges
- Registration Fee RM100 – credited to your first bill
- Activation Fee RM60 – credited to your first bill
- Bill via Post RM5
Although the office plans offer unlimited data usage, We don’t think the price premium is justified. Last week we were told that there may be an unlimited data usage plan for home users – this is obviously wrong because there’s no such thing. The P1 Standard plan for office might be a feasible option for some home users who want unlimited data, but for most it’s going to be too much.
Those who are using or who plan to subscribe to P1 take note of this: we know from experience that the the fair usage policy is enforced to the letter. Once you breach your limit, your connection will be throttled so be warned.
One more thing, P1 Customer Service: please update your IVR. The lady is talking about plans that don’t exist anymore.